Monday, 15 March 2010

Birdsong

The sky was a rough patchwork cloud, greys with shades of blue, and near the horizon a gold yellow was trying to break through from behind. The mood of the wind was immediately apparent, it was more intense than yesterday when it had been as playful as Lady. Today it meant business, it came straight for us from the west as we followed the track that skirted the village next to the expanse of field that leads to the forest. In the other direction the two giant wind turbines were fully concentrated on their work, no time to gaze around this morning.
While in the village I had been aware of bird song coming from the shelter of gardens. The most visible sign of bird life was the small flock of starlings, a small-walnut-tree-full-sized small flock, very small compared to what I used to see sweeping through the winter skies at dusk in the UK. Skylarks will soon be a feature of walking the track across the field, their calling heard long before I am able to locate them by eye.
I know so little about birdsong, on our return journey I asked Lady if she listens to bird song, does she understand it? She looked at me, how was she to explain to me, a simpleton who communicates by mere words...............

7 comments:

  1. On my first Camino I was lucky enough to see one of those amazing flocks of starlings, tens of thousands strong - which twisted and turned in the evening sky like some divine computer-graphic - before it settled down to roost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. S.W.
    "like some divine computer-graphic" That's a great expression. I used to see just that during my cycling days in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skylark song has to be one of my favourites. I seems to go hand in hand with wide open spaces. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie
    I love to watch skylarks taking off and landing...T

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have huge flocks of starlings (sometimes grackles or re-winged blackbirds) here. Thousands of birds. Mostly they gather in the fall. Always an amazing sight.

    No skylark, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Griz
    There was a comment here from you, perhaps I deleted it, I'm a slow learner. I remarked on the starlings because I don't see many here.
    I was shipped through the Falkland Islands on my way south and they have a military starling there, it has a red breast. But I'm not sure if it's any true relation to the bird I know as a starling.
    Tramp

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know, either, Tramp. Our grackles are blackbirds—iridescent, purple-blue-bronze-black, fairly large, with yellow eyes and a nice profile; quite handsome, really, but real bullies.

    ReplyDelete