Friday, 30 July 2010

Simplicity ?

A calm evening, a bank of cloud pushing in silently from the west hiding the setting sun but soft orange escaping across the sky. It reminds me of one of those old coal-effect electric fires. I turn and linger to take it in and Lady returns to urge me on. There is a slight chill in the damp air which holds the fragrance of ripe wheat.
I have always craved simplicity. What do I mean by that? I don’t want to confuse simplicity with naivety, I have this desire to strip away unnecessary baggage and find the simple truths behind it all, to remove the superfluous trappings that hide the real meaning. Then there is this wish to bring things down to a level where I have something that I can cope with. However I so often strip away too much and the important is ignored. Another balance which is so hard to achieve and makes meaning hard to find.

But I am me and I seek simplicity, something to grasp onto because I am so easily overwhelmed.

9 comments:

  1. Tramp, my friend - I have to say this, in all honesty, as I read this just now, it was one of the most beautifully moving things I have ever read on any blog. It says so little, and says it well - and it also says so much. Thanks for this vignette...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tramp

    I love how you write - I am so easily absorbed in to your creation, images, sights, sounds and smell. "Ripe wheat"....Oh yes. I too prefer simplicity - but ah, such is often not the case. or is it. Perhaps I/we complicate the obviously simple. Or in simplicity do we wonder our purpose. As I am facing this healing challenge I, at times, pull out all the stops,- prayer, bargaining, attitude adjustment, frustration, but the 'simple' truth is, this is going to run it's course, regardless. My eldest daughter, so far away in a complicated life full of strife and pain, - I think of so many ways to "reach" her, make a difference, but ah, the simple truth is, it is her life and I have tried all I can and now I must let her be........ and the simple of all of this is that none if it is simple. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! (me screaming).

    Love to you my creative and well-intentioned friend
    Gail
    peace and hope........

    ReplyDelete
  3. SW
    This came to me after reading recent entries from you and George and what Griz had to say about the frustrations of not being able to see things properly.

    Gail
    You and I are on different journeys but I treasure the opportunities we have to stop and exchange thoughts.

    ...Tramp

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing wrong with simplicity - I am all for it - there is far too much detritus around. The trouble is knowing what to discard without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weaver
    As Albert Einstein said
    "Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler."
    And that's simple to say!
    ...Tramp

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with The Solitary Walker entirely, Tramp. This piece is so beautifully rendered that it jumps off the page. It's pure poetry, and more important, it comes from an open and honest heart. Having followed your journey for several months, I have this feeling that you are finding both your path and your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. George
    The journey, although sometimes through difficult country, is enriched by the fellow travellers I have met who help me appreciate the beauty of its ruggedness.
    Thank you, my friend.
    ...Tramp

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is beauty in simplicity, as there is in this small paragraph of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Friko
    Come in, sit down. What would you like to drink?
    Yes, simplicity can be beautiful but not always easy. The simple question "why?" that my grandson asks causes me so many problems.
    ...Tramp

    ReplyDelete