Tuesday, 10 August 2010

Greatest Achievments

The rain clouds had finally moved away to reveal a freshly painted blue sky containing just a few archipelagos of tiny cotton wool clouds. A summer breeze had returned to dry the vegetation but the ground was still sodden with the almost relentless rain of the past week.


"What is your greatest achievement?"

I've always struggled with such questions. When they have been thrown at me in job interviews and the like I've tried to produce an expected response, but my replies have never satisfied me personally. On reflection, this is probably because there is something meaningless about these questions. They could only be answered if we knew the full effect of everything we did or said (or how we did or said them).


The modern meaning of the word "success" is generally about getting desired results, which we are conditioned to believe are fame and fortune. The older meaning of "success" is about all results, consequences, things (and people) that follow. Just because what we say or do doesn't have a measurable result it doesn't mean that it isn't a great achievement. We get brainwashed by the "success-mongers" who consider it a great personal achievement for themselves if they can condition us into planning great personal achievements for ourselves.


For me attempting to be more positive in contact with others means potentially greater achievements than any personal goals set, greater because of the knock-on effect which we will probably never fully appreciate. These achievements can’t be considered as our own purely personal achievements but they are more powerful.

7 comments:

  1. This is a very thoughtful and thought-provoking post, Tramp. You are right about the success-mongers; they seem to rule the universe these days. The only success that counts, however, is the flowering of the spirit, the development of a heart that can see beauty and experience love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tramp-

    Huh. well, when asked this by a co-worker in a "team building group I answered that my greatest accomplishment was knowing that I had "arrived" and that I could live and work and love upon this plateau I had reached after many challenges to get there. No one really understood.

    Love to you my wonderful friend
    Gail
    peace and hope......

    ReplyDelete
  3. George
    I am not saying that I don't set goals in my personal life but just that I think how I behave on the way can have much further reaching consequences than the actual achievement of that goal. As a fellow traveller, I'm sure you appreciate what I mean.
    Happy travelling.
    ...Tramp

    Gail
    Probably because they didn't expect or want an answer like that.
    You write some wonderful entries on your blog but who knows the consequences of the positiveness that you show. It has a great effect on me which I know I have passed on and that is the case with others who read your entries.
    Out there some marvellous things have been achieved because of what you put on your blog.
    I'm not sure if a "Team building group" would appreciate it, though.
    Keep on trucking.
    ...Tramp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Tramp

    I am blushing, really, I am. :-o) And you are so right about this particular "team" - not a one of them has a clue. I really am "free" now that I am no longer an employee. I DO miss the service I provided and to read your words about my blog and its impact, well, I am humbled and so thankful you told me. You are amazing.

    Love and high regard
    Gail
    peace and hope......

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can we ever tell what we achieve? One person's achievement is another person's failure.
    The fame-fortune-material gains achievement is pretty hollow.

    Personally, I would love to achieve peace of mind, worthwhile friendship and perhaps the knowledge of having had a positive influence on at least one person in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friko
    I have known you just a short time but I think your writing passes on a positve influence to many, both directly and indirectly.
    ...Tramp

    ReplyDelete
  7. "To thine own self be true" has always been a maxim I like to follow. As for success -achievement - how can one judge - we are all so different.

    ReplyDelete