Sunday, 10 October 2010

I'm sure it was......

It was a gorgeous autumn morning today: quiet, calm, clear and cool.
After an epidural injection in the lower back my left leg has loosened up to the extent that it now flops around rather and is reluctant to obey instructions. Walking is no longer the painful experience it was but is now a slow and comical process with the tendancy to make me tired quckly.
At the end of our road I caught sight of an unfamiliar bird clinging low down to the trunk of a small silver birch. (The eyes are not such good team players either at the moment, who hasn't noticed the many tryping errors in the little blogging and commenting I've done recently? I'm due for a second cataract op this week which should liven up the right eye to the speed its rejuvenated left partner.) I thought by its size and behaviour that this mystery creature was a green woodpecker and I started to take great interest; in 17 years here I've only had one sighting. Creeping towards the tree as stealthily as limbs and eyes could manage, it was no surprise when the bird took flight towards a small clump of trees around a grassy children's play area. The undulating flight confirmed in my mind that I was in the prescence of that rare something so I continued in pursuit. Of course it flew off again but I had a magical view of it flying in waves away from me along the track I planned to follow. As with so many things in life , it was just a fleeting elusive experience but I felt lucky to have seen what I did.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you are still have some health issues, Tramp, but your spirits seem to be running high. There's nothing quite like a beautiful autumn morning to put things in perspective. As for that woodpecker, it's just a reminder, as you recognize, that all beauty is fleeting; otherwise, we would probably not consider it beauty. Here's hoping your back improves with every passing day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes fleeting elusive experiences are the best I think. I saw a fox briefly a fortnight ago and the image stays in my mind.

    Good luck with the next cataract operation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI TRAMP- and our best to 'Lady' :-)
    Well, I am glad to hear that the injection eased the pain and sorry to hear that one of the outcomes is lack of control of that leg. I understand that dilemma all too well. It is how I gad about most of the time. eesh.

    So glad you had a fleeting moment of joy with the woodpecker. We have them here and they are quite noisy, as they peck fast and loud on our stove pipe outside our bedroom window before dawn.
    Keep getting better - and hopefully the cataract surgery will proceed with all good outcomes.

    Love to you and Happy Autumn.
    Gail
    peace, hope and healing.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tryping, Tramp? Are you still on those pills? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. George
    Great to hear from you. There's hardly any pain now but I'm looking forward to getting this other eye sorted out.
    I was trying to recall that song about an elusive butterfly of love.

    Weaver
    When the proportions or movements of a creature tell you that it's something you rarely see, that's a magic moment indeed.

    Gail
    The right leg is demanding that I am not so lenient with the left so I am trying to train them to work together, much to Lady's amusement. She sends her love.

    S.W.
    It will take more than the odd tryping mistook to risk a retun to those toblets, my fiend. ;-)

    ...Tramp
    ...Tramp

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo Tramp, You are in the wars, by all accounts.
    But seeing a green woodpecker makes up for a lot. I have plenty of the spotted variety coming into the garden, but nary a green one.
    Wish I could have been with you. (I might even have propped up the wobbly leg)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friko
    A few years ago in the UK I spent a fascinating hour watching two parents teaching and cajoling a reluctant young green woodpecker to fly.
    ...Tramp

    ReplyDelete