Thursday, 14 April 2011

The Fog of Spring

April brings with it a dramatic change in tempo. What has been idle for so many months springs to life. The whole world changes; it takes on a new appearance, a new feel.
Sometimes it seems too much; it is so easy to be overwhelmed by it all as I try to make something out of the blur in front of me. Somewhere in there is life, the future; I must step into it although I will be bowled over and washed along by it gasping for breath.
I want to know more of the meaning of this and my relevance to it all. It is hard to accept that were such questions answered I would not comprehend. The only hope is to venture in, but in the confusion it will operate differently. There, life will question me and my responses will help me towards some understanding.

6 comments:

  1. HI TRAMP- Oh my, quite the deep thinker are we? :-) Really though, this is quite a 'view' of Spring as it relates to your (our) place in the newness of it all. Today I sat by the brook, listened to it babble, watched it move along its path, saw the turtles and snakes and frogs that live or reappear in the warmer climate, the sun warmed me, and I felt at peace and part of the change.
    Love to you in Spring
    Gail
    peace.....
    p.s. I had one eye on Gracey-Blue as she romped about and went for a swim in the pond :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail
    Thanks for the injection of quiet positiveness. I think that I am sensitive to the quicker rate of change here than in the UK. It is wonderful to have a dog who shows us that life is really wonderful. Have a great weekend.
    ...Tramp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again - did I read the inference wrongly in that you believe I am from the UK? I am from Guilford, Connecticut - USA!! :-)

    Love to you
    Gail
    peace......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gail
    No, I am comparing spring the UK (where I grew up) with spring here. In the UK I was used to snowdrops in January, crocuses in February and daffodils in March. Here there is nothing, nothing, nothing then suddenly it all comes in one week and I get bowled over in the rush.
    ...Tramp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Tramp! I've been away for a few weeks, but it's great to come back and find your post. You meditation on the ambivalence of encountering spring reminds me of the opening lines of Eliot's "The Waste Land." "April is the cruelest month, breeding lilacs out of dead land, mixing memory with desire, stirring dull roots with spring rain." My roots have been a bit dull lately, and I'm looking forward to gifts of spring. With a little luck, I will make the transformation from memory, which has occupied my mind of late, to the life-affirming desire of which Eliot speaks. All my best to Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear from you, George. The desire to be able to digest everything around me is a pet frustration of mine.
    I must go now, Tramp jnr and grandson are looking for binoculars to look at the night sky.
    ...Tramp

    ReplyDelete